Google Chromecast is a convenient way to cast entertainment apps from your phone or tablet to your TV. Like any streaming device, Chromecast might freeze or crash or you may encounter issues connecting your phone or tablet to Chromecast. If you have any issues with your Chromecast, try restarting the device or updating the device to the latest firmware. If none of the fixes work, factory resetting the Chromecast will help you fix the problem.
You can reset your Chromecast directly using the button on it. Another method to reset Chromecast involves the Google Home app. Through our guidelines, you can reset the Chromecast in minutes.
Reasons to Reset Chromecast
Let us look at the reasons why you should reset the device.
- Chromecast Not Working: Resetting Chromecast is necessary when encountering lagging or not working issues. But Chromecast not working is a common issue. So we recommend you follow the other troubleshooting, like rebooting and updating Chromecast, checking the internet connection, etc., before you jump to resetting.
- Chromecast Not Updating: If your Chromecast device is not updating to the latest version, you can try resetting the device to update Chromecast Firmware.
- Selling the Device: If you plan to switch to a new steaming device by selling the old one, factory reset your device to remove all the stored data and improve performance.
Ways to Reset Chromecast?
There is no automated process available to reset the device. You need to reset the Chromecast manually. There are two ways to reset it.
- Using the Google Home App
- Using the Button on the Chromecast device
How to Factory Reset Google Chromecast Using Google Home App
Using the Google Home app to reset the device is the easiest way. You can use an Android device or iPhone to reset the Chromecast.
2. On the home screen of the Google Home application, click on your Chromecast device.
3. Tap on the Settings icon in the upper right corner.
4. Click on the three-dotted menu icon, which is located at the top of the device page.
5. You will find the Factory Reset button. Click on it to reset your device.
6. The app will prompt confirmation. Click Reset to proceed.
The Chromecast will start the factory resetting process. You will lose all the data like paired device, password, and home WiFi connection by resetting your Chromecast.
How to Reset Chromecast using the Button on the Device
You can use this method to reset the Chromecast directly. This method is often known as a hard resetting Chromecast.
Chromecast 1st Gen
Plug the Chromecast onto your TV and press and hold the button in Chromecast for 25 seconds until the LED lights blink white on your device. You can find your TV going blank, and Chromecast starts rebooting to complete the reset process.
Chromecast 2nd Gen, 3rd Gen, and Ultra
Plug the Chromecast onto your TV and press the side button until the blinking orange light turns white. Release once it turns white, and the device will reset.
By resetting your Google Chromecast, you will lose your data which can not be undone. You can proceed to reset only if you have no other solution to solve the issue on your device. After resetting, you should connect your Chromecast to WiFi.
If the reset option is unavailable on the app, ensure the device is paired with the app. Disconnect the device and pair it again to fix the issue.
To reset your Google TV, go to the System > About > Factory Reset and confirm the reset.
To reset the Chromecast voice remote, remove the batteries from the remote and press and hold the Home button. While holding the home button insert the batteries. Hold the button until the white led light start blinking.