Google Chromecast is a device which acts as a medium to cast files from a device to your TV. You can cast video, audio and other files to your TV from your smartphones, tablets, and desktops. To cast any file using Chromecast, you have to connect your Chromecast and the device from which you are casting to the same WiFi network. You might wonder whether you are safe casting videos through a WiFi. If you are not sure about security, then you can use a VPN while casting files to Chromecast. Let us discuss how to use a VPN on Chromecast in this post.
There are two ways of using a VPN.
- If you want no one to monitor what you are casting, then you have to set up a VPN on the device from which you are casting.
- If you want to secure your Chromecast by using more secure WiFi connectivity, then you have to use a VPN enabled WiFi router.
Related: How to Chromecast Sling TV?
VPN on Chromecast casting device
You can use this method if you want to secure what you are watching. By using a VPN, you will stay safe from monitoring. You will be connected to a private network and no one including the network provider or the browser will be able to track who you are. Apart from this, you will also stay safe hackers as well. Follow the steps below to enable VPN on the device from which you are casting:
For Android Phone & Tablets:
- Open the Google Play Store.
- Search for the NordVPN or click here, which you must have a subscription.
- Click on the app and install it on your Android phone or tablet.
- Open the VPN application.
- Click on the “Connect” button to connect to a virtual network.
For iPhone & iPad:
- Open the App Store.
- Search for the VPN you wish to install.
- Click on the application and install it on your iPhone/iPad.
- Open the app on your device.
- Connect to the country and stay secured.
- Open the browser and search for the best VPN for your Windows/Mac/Linux.
- Click on the link and download the application for your platform.
- Follow the instruction and install it on your desktop.
- Then open the application and connect it to the private network.
By following the above methods, you will secure your device from monitoring and hacking. Now you can connect to the Chromecast and start casting any files from your device to the TV.
Related: How to Chromecast Powerpoint to TV?
VPN on Wifi Router to secure Chromecast
This method secures both your Chromecast and the device from which you are casting. You will be connecting Chromecast and your Phone to the same WiFi network. If the WiFi router is secured with a VPN, then both the devices stay secure.
Note: This method will differ for each WiFi Router model and the VPN which you are using. The below are the general description on how to connected VPN on a WiFi Router. For full-fledged instruction, visit the VPN’s official website.
1: Go to the official website of the VPN which you are going to use.
2: Login or Sign up with your email ID.
3: Choose a plan and then go to the download page.
4: Click on “Download for other devices” and click on “Manual Configuration”.
5: You will find a few options. Select “PPTP or L2TP-IPSec” option.
6: There you will find a username and password along with server address. Note it down as we need this for configuration.
7: Now go to router’s admin panel and click on the advanced tab.
8: Go to Networks -> Internet under the Advanced tab.
9: Now select the internet Type as “L2TP”.
10: Enter the Username, password and the server address we noted down in step 6.
11: Set the secondary connection to Dynamic IP and click Connect.
Related: List of Compatible Chromecast Apps
Change WiFi on Chromecast
Now your WiFi router displays another WiFi signal in the name of the VPN.
- Go to Google Home app on your mobile.
- Click on the Chromecast device name on Google Home app.
- Go to device settings.
- Click on the WiFi name and tap on Change WiFi connectivity.
- List of available WiFi signals will appear.
- Connect to the secure WiFi which we configured earlier.
Related: How to Chromecast Vimeo to TV?
Thus, these are the two ways of connecting the VPN on Chromecast. By using a VPN, you can stay from hackers and people who are monitoring what you are watching. If you have any query on the above methods, please comment it in below section.