Sometimes when you try to cast any app or website using Chromecast, you might get the message “Chromecast Source not supported.” There are a lot of different reasons that might cause your Chromecast to be unresponsive. Sometimes it might be due to improper settings in the device or lack of a proper update. At times, it might be because of minor issues on the Chromecast or the casting device. Whatever be the reason, we have a bunch of effective troubleshooting tips to solve the same.
Enable the Mirroring Service option on Google Chrome
Sometimes you try to cast with the Google Chrome web browser, and you get the message Chromecast Source not supported. Then, you need to check if the Mirroring Service option is enabled or not. It is supposed to be enabled by default, and at times, new updates might disable it unintentionally.
1. On your Windows/Linux/Mac, launch the Google Chrome web browser.
2. Type down chrome://flags in the browser and press the Enter key.
3. Next, press the combination of CTRL + F keys on your keyboard to launch the Find tool.
4. Further, type Mirroring and press Enter.
5. From the results, locate the Mirroring Service option.
6. On the drop-down menu, turn it Enabled.
7. To make the changes effective, restart the Google Chrome browser. Simply close the browser and re-open Google Chrome.
8. Finally, cast any website and check if the issues are fixed or not.
Restart Your Devices
After enabling the Mirroring services option, it would be better if you could restart your devices for it to be effective. Restart your computer, unplug and replug your Chromecast after a few minutes, and do the same to the Wi-Fi router for it to be effective. By restarting the Chromecast, computer, and Wi-Fi router can help you filter off any other issues with these devices.
Turn off Ad-Blockers and VPN (If you have)
Sometimes the ad-blockers that you have on your browsers can prevent the browser from casting its tabs. So, you need to disable them and check if the casting works.
1. Firstly, launch the Google Chrome browser and click on the three-dot icon on the right of your profile picture.
2. Next, select More tools and then Extensions.
3. On the page, navigate to your adblocker and the toggle to turn it off.
4. Further, restart your Google Chrome web browser.
5. Next, open your VPN service and click on the Disconnect button (if enabled).
6. Once again, try to cast again using your Chromecast.
Note: Go to your Activity Manager or task Manager and re-check if the VPN is turned off.
Enable Cast Media Route Provider
Like you did with the Mirroring Services option, you might need to enable the Cast Media Route Provider.
1. Firstly, launch the Google Chrome web browser.
2. In the browser, type down chrome://flags and press Enter.
3. Further, launch the Find tool by pressing the CTRL + F keys.
4. Type down Cast Media Route and press Enter.
5. Navigate to Cast Media Route Provider and enable it on the drop-down menu.
6. In order to make the changes effective, restart the Chrome browser. Simply close the app and re-launch the app.
Install Chrome updates
Sometimes the reason for the Chromecast function not working might be because your browser isn’t up to date. Even if you have the auto-update feature on the browser, sometimes the updates remain pending.
1. Firstly, launch your Google Chrome web browser.
2. Next, click on the three-dotted icon next to your Google profile.
3. Click on Help on the drop-down menu and then click on About Google Chrome.
4. The About Chrome page does the update search automatically.
5. If there is an update, Download it.
6. Once installed, restart your chrome browser.
7. Finally, check if the issue has been resolved.
Reset Chromecast to Factory Settings
Finally, if nothing works, you might need to reset your Chromecast device to factory settings.
Reset First Generation Chromecast
1. Press and hold the button on Chromecast for about 25 seconds.
2. Remove the hand as soon as the LED light turns to a flashing red light.
3. With this, the device will reset within a few seconds.
Second Generation Chromecast and Higher
1. After plugging your Chromecast device, press and hold the button on the side of the device.
2. The LED light starts blinking orange, and you need to hold it till the light flashes white.
3. The reset begins, and you need to give it a few seconds.
After resetting the Chromecast device, you need to set up your Chromecast device from scratch. Finally, check if the issue with Chromecast is resolved or not.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I fix a Chromecast Source that isn’t supported?
There are different troubleshooting tips to fix this issue as follows.
- Enable Mirroring Service
- Restart all devices.
- Turn Off Ad-Blockers
- Cast Media Route Provider
- Chrome Updates
- Reset the Chromecast to factory settings
2. Why is my TV not supported for casting?
Firstly, ensure that both the TV and the Chromecast are on the same Wi-Fi network. If your Chromecast returns a message that it is not supported, you need to fix it, as discussed above.