If you like to sideload apps on Google TV, you need the Downloader app. Fortunately, Downloader is officially available on Google TV and can be installed from the Play Store.
Downloader lets you sideload the apps that are unavailable on the Play Store. With the help of an APK URL, you can download and install the app on your Google TV right away.
In this article, we have guided the steps to get a Downloader and more importantly the process of installing third-party apps. We have also explained the DIY troubleshooting steps which will be handy to resolve when Downloader is not working properly.
How to Install Downloader on Google TV
Connect the Chromecast with Google TV to a strong WiFi before installing the Downloader app.
1. Turn On your Google TV and hit the Search menu on the top right corner of the screen.
2. Type and search for the Downloader app in the search bar. You can also use voice commands to search the app.
3. From the list of search results, select the Downloader app offered by AFTVnews.
4. Click on the Install button to get Downloader on Google TV.
How to Sideload Apps on Google TV Using Downloader
After installing the app, you need to make a few changes to your Google TV settings to install the apps. First of all, you need to enable Developer Mode on Google TV. To do it, refer to the steps below.
1. On the home screen, click the Profile icon in the upper right corner and then choose the Settings menu.
2. On the settings screen, move to System and click the About menu.
3. Select the “Android TV OS build” option 7 times to enable the Developer Mode. You will see a message stating, “You are now a developer” at the bottom of the screen.
4. After enabling that, you need to allow permission for sideloading apps via Downloader.
5. Get back to Settings and scroll down to choose “Device preference.”
6. On the next screen, click on Security & Restrictions and select the Unknown Sources menu.
7. Choose Downloader and slide the toggle located next to the Downloader.
8. Return to the main screen and launch the Downloader app.
9. Select “Allow” to grant access to the required permissions.
10. Now, you need to install the Downloader Browser Plugin. It helps you in browsing web pages.
11. Enter browser.aftvnews.com in the URL field and click GO.
12. Once it is downloaded, select Install on the pop-up menu.
13. Now, move to the Browser section and enter the APK link of the app you want to download.
14. After downloading the apk file, tap Install on the app info page to download the app on your Google TV.
How to Fix Downloader Not Working on Google TV
If you find any issues in installing or using the Downloader app on Google TV, make use of the troubleshooting steps listed below.
- Connect the Google TV to a strong Internet connection.
- Close and reopen the Downloader app.
- Restart the Google TV.
- Update the Downloader app to the latest version.
- Update your Google TV firmware.
- Reset Google TV to Factory Settings, if none of the methods works.
Yes. By using Downloader, you can install the APK file of any app on Google TV.
If you are streaming content on third-party apps, make sure to install and use VPN on Chromecast with Google TV to stream the content anonymously.